New Weapon Permit Law: HF756 is in effect as of July 1, 2021. Please visit the Iowa Department of Public Safety website for basic information and additional resources.
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724, before receiving a permit.
Summary of Iowa Code Chapter 724:
- Applicants must show proper identification.
- Applicants must apply for a permit to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.
- Applicants must have completed required training.
- Applicants will pay the required fee at the time the application is made. Carry permits are $50 for new permits and $25 for renewals. Purchase permits are $25.
- Download, print and fill out the appropriate application listed below. Fill in all blanks thoroughly. Females, include your maiden name and any other married names you may have used. Failure to complete the form will result in termination of the application process.
- Attach a legible copy of your firearms training certification for carry permits only.
- Attach a legible copy of your Iowa Driver's License or Iowa Non-Driver Identification. The address on the DL or Non-Driver ID must have your current address.
- E-mail the application, copy of your firearms training certification, Iowa Driver's License or Iowa Non-Driver I.D. to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If paying by check, payment must be included with the mailed application. Please do not send cash through the mail with applications. If you are paying with a Debit or Credit card, you will receive a call once your permit has been received.
- Applications with checks can be mailed to:
Woodbury County Sheriff's Office
P. O. Box 3715
Sioux City, Iowa 51102
Attn: Gun Permit Division - Jeana Davis
Please allow ten (10) days for purchase permits to process and thirty (30) days for carry permits to process. The Woodbury County Sheriff's Office will notify the applicants when the application is approved. The permit will be mailed to the address provided on the application. Permits will not be available at the Sheriff's Office.
If you have any questions with this new process, please contact Jeana Davis at 712-279-6010 ext. 5061.
A professional carry permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application, along with a letter on company letterhead stating they are employed with that company and requests the individual to carry a weapon while on duty.
When making application for a carry permit, it is not necessary to make application for a purchase permit. The carry permit acts as the purchase permit.
Tips for Possessing/Carrying a Weapon
- Permit holders are strongly encouraged to safely conceal their weapons versus carrying in the open or plain view.
- At the onset of any contact with law enforcement, immediately notify the deputy/officer(s) that you have a permit to carry and you are armed.
- A permit holder is required by law to carry their permit while armed by State Code of Iowa 724.5.
- Prior to traveling across state lines, familiarize yourself with the laws of the state you intend to pass through and enter. Iowa recognizes and honors weapon permits from other states, but in many other states there is no such reciprocity.
- Weapon possession/use is prohibited while a person is impaired by alcohol and/or drugs by State Code of Iowa 724.4C.
- Permit holders may possess weapons in vehicles but not while riding on an ATV or snowmobile.
- Contact the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for specific inquiries regarding hunting.
- Private establishments may post signs prohibiting weapons on their premises.
- Permit holders may not carry on school grounds.
- Permit holders are strongly encouraged to gain proficiency with the weapon they carry (to include shooting accuracy, weapon safety, and justification in the use of deadly force.
For additional information and frequently asked questions about the recent changes in the laws, please visit the Iowa Department of Public Safety website.