The Sheriff's Office internship program takes applications in April and May of each year due to the program's summer schedule. Please submit your application during these months.
- Be enrolled full or part-time in an accredited college or university.
- Be enrolled in the college or university's internship program for the semester/summer they plan to intern.
- Ability to pass a full background check.
- Have a class schedule during the internship semester/summer that allows a minimum of 5 hours per day for 3-5 days per week that may be spent at the Sheriff’s Office.
- Flexibility to be assigned to evenings/nights/weekends.
- Complete the Internship Application form. Hard copies are available at the Sheriff's Office.
- Obtain a recommendation letter from your college or university advisor or internship supervisor. This letter should state, at minimum, the following: That you are a student in good standing, you have completed enough coursework in your area of study that an internship will make a positive and educational impact on you and that you will be enrolled in an internship course during the time spent with the Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office.
- Applications should be submitted no less than 30 days prior to the semester you would like to begin the internship. The Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office can accept no more than two interns per semester/summer. Applications will be considered in the order they are received.
- Upon receipt of the application, the Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office administration will review the submission. Applicants being considered will be contacted by a member of the administration for an interview.
Submit the application, a copy of your driver's license, and the letter of recommendation to:
- Captain Willie Garrett, email@example.com
- Lt. Pat Hinrichsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lt. Don Armstrong, email@example.com
Or, submit via mail to Woodbury County Sheriff's Office, P.O. Box 3715, Sioux City, IA, 51102.