Vital Records - Birth, Death and Marriage
Woodbury County Recorder's Office
620 Douglas Street - Room 106
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
Patrick F. Gill - Auditor and Recorder
Diane Swoboda Peterson - Real Estate/Recorder Deputy
VITAL'S AREA (712-279-6626)
COVID-19 OFFICE UPDATE
If you are not fully vaccinated, it is highly recommended that a mask be worn while in the office.
The Recorder's Office is open to the public.
These duties were added to our office on July 1, 1997 by legislative mandate. This area issues marriage licenses as well as birth, death and marriage certificates. Certified and uncertified copies of county vital records are obtained through this office for a fee, a portion of which is retained by the county. Records are available for genealogy research.
- birth, death, marriage
- 1880 - present
- 1921 - 1941 records may not be accurate/complete; verification of record required before issue
- birth records of children born before 1/1/1986 to a single parent attainable through State Office only at this time
- birth records of adopted children born before 1/1/1986 attainable through State Office only at this time
- death records from 5/1935 to 5/1941 not available at county level
INFORMATION TO REQUEST A VITAL RECORD
"IN PERSON" CERTIFIED Copies of Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates
- Applications are taken 8:00am to 4:10pm, Monday through Friday except for legal holidays.
- Certified Copies are $15.00 each, payable by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card (extra fee applies).
- MUST have a current, government-issued picture ID in order to obtain a certified copy.
- MUST have tangible* interest in the record in order to obtain a certified copy.
"IN PERSON" UNCERTIFIED Copies of Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates
- Search records between 8:00am to 4:15pm, Monday through Friday except for legal holidays.
- Uncertified copies are 50 cents each, payable by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card (extra fee applies).
- Uncertified copies cannot be mailed.
"MAIL" Requests for CERTIFIED Copies of Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates
- Certified Copies are $15.00 each, payable to Woodbury County Recorder by money order only.
- ALL mail requests must have the requestor's signature notarized.
- ALL mail requests must have a copy of the requestor's current, government-issued picture ID with it.
- ALL mail requests MUST state the tangible* interest in the record in order to obtain a certified copy.
- AN APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE AT BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
You may also access an application for a certified birth, death or marriage certificate by clicking the link below to take you to a page on the Iowa Department of Public Health's portal. On that page scroll down until you see Application for Copy of Vital Record Certificate click on it and print the application.
Mail Woodbury County requests to Woodbury County Recorder; 620 Douglas Street; Room 106; Sioux City, Iowa 51101
*Tangible Interest = your own record OR you are the mother, father, sister, brother, spouse, grandmother, grandfather, or child of the person whose record you are requesting.
*NATIONWIDE VITAL RECORD OFFICES LIST AVAILABLE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE*
**APOSTILLE REQUEST FORM AVAILABLE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE**
MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION
*Officiants for civil marriage ceremonies available at bottom of page
Marriage Application and Instructions temporarily available at bottom of this page.
*To schedule ceremony with Judge call (712)279-6031--leave message and call will be returned
- Applications are taken 8:00am to 3:45pm, Monday through Friday except for legal holidays.
- Marriage licenses are $35.00, payable by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card (extra fee applies).
- Party A and B must be 18 years or older.
- One witness who is 18 years or older and knows both Party A and B is needed at time of application.
- Party A, Party B and witness all need a current, government-issued picture ID at time of application.
- There is a four day waiting period from the date of application to the valid license date.
- Party A and B are responsible for arranging and paying for the marriage ceremony/officiant.