Floodplain Development Permit Fees Waived for Unincorporated Residents

posted on 7/3/24
posted by Community & Economic Development (Planning & Zoning)

Press Release

July 3, 2024

Protect Your Home from Flood Damages

As property owners undertake clean-up and repairs following the recent flood, Woodbury County Planning and Zoning would like to remind unincorporated residents of the need to obtain local floodplain development permits before repairing or rebuilding flood-damaged structures.

Permits are required for the county’s participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  Participation in the NFIP allows property owners to purchase flood insurance and receive flood disaster assistance, state and federal grants and loans, and buyout funds for flood-prone property. 

Woodbury County’s floodplain management ordinance requires permits to be obtained for any construction or development activity in a floodplain area, including repair or reconstruction of structures damaged by flooding.  While this permit requirement can’t be waived, the Woodbury County Board of Supervisors did take action to waive the $110 floodplain development permit fee.

Special conditions apply to substantially damaged buildings - those in which the total cost of repairs is 50 percent or more of the structure’s pre-flood market value.  If a building is found to be substantially damaged, regulations require that repairs not begin until compliance with the local floodplain ordinance is demonstrated.   This will require repairs that include elevating or flood-proofing the structure to reduce the potential for future flood damage.

The cost to repair must be calculated for full repair to "pre-damaged" condition, even if the owner elects to do less.  The total cost to repair includes structural and finish materials as well as labor. If labor and materials have been donated they must still be assigned a value. If local building codes require the structure to be repaired according to certain standards, these additional costs must be included in the full repair cost for the structure.

State and federal assistance may be available to property owners to reduce the chances of future flood damage.  Mitigation assistance may cover costs of relocation, or for elevating or purchasing flood-damaged structures. Flood insurance may also provide up to $30,000 to protect a structure from future flood damage.

Property owners and residents with flood-damaged buildings are encouraged to contact Dan Priestley at Woodbury County Planning and Zoning at 712-279-6609 for more on repairs and reconstruction of flood-damaged buildings and the process for obtaining a floodplain development permit.  Floodplain Development Permit applications may be obtained at the following website link: www.tinyurl.com/floodpermit

For further information, visit www.woodburycountyiowa.gov.


Woodbury County doorknob with 'W' design Stay Connected with Our County

Sign up to receive notifications when board meeting agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.


This content was printed from the County website at woodburycountyiowa.gov on July 15, 2024.