Land and Records Management
Woodbury County Recorder's Office
620 Douglas Street - Room 106
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
Patrick F. Gill - Auditor and Recorder
Diane Swoboda Peterson - Real Estate/Recorder Deputy
RECORDER'S AREA (712-279-6528)
COVID-19 OFFICE UPDATE
The Recorder's Office is open to the public by appointment only.
Please call 712-279-6528 to schedule an appointment regarding recording a document.
This area of the office is responsible for recording and maintaining official records of documents affecting real estate. The office records all instruments presented upon payment of the proper fees and compliance with other recording requirements as provided by law. Recording fees collected by the county provide a form of property tax relief. In addition, a portion of the fees collected for real estate conveyances are retained in the county’s general fund. Federal and state tax lien searches are also performed.
All records are opened to the public. Copies can be obtained in the office for a nominal fee.
- Book index from 1880 through May 1994 in the office
- Book index for specific indexes on-line
- Book index with images from January 1972 through May 1994 on-line
- Computer index from June 1994 to present in office and on-line
- Microfilm images from January 1972 through December 2004 in the office
- Scanned images from January 1972 to present in the office and on-line
TYPES OF DOCUMENTS RECORDED
- federal and state tax liens
- plats and surveys
- section corner certificates
- military service records
- trade names
- 28E and drainage agreements
- bills of sale
- articles of incorporation
- financing statements
- numerous other documents.
(click on link above to connect to the Iowa Land Records website)
The mission of Iowa Land Records is to provide access to county and statewide land record and related information. Iowa Land Records provides a powerful search capability for land records in Iowa counties. Registered users have access to useful services including the ability to search, view and print document images at no cost.
Woodbury County has the following information available on Iowa Land Records:
- index and images from June 1994 to present
- new index and images are uploaded within 48 hours of recording
(click on the link above to connect to the On-line Index Book website)
The On-line Index Book is hosted by Cott Systems. This website provides service to search and receive images of specific index and record books. Users can search the name using the logic provided by the existing index, be placed on the first page of the index book where that entry resides, then electronically "page" through the index book to perform a visual search for the desired index information. Once an entry is visually located, if the image is available, the user simply enters the starting book and page of the document and the image is provided. The user has the ability to search, view and print document images at no cost.
Woodbury County has the following information available on the On-line Index Book Web Site:
- Affidavits 6/1/1965 - 6/30/1994
- Articles of Incorporation 1942 - 6/30/1994
- Deeds 1/1/1970 - 5/31/1994
- Misc Lots & Lands 12/1/1971 - 5/31/1994
- Mortgages 6/1/1972 - 5/31/1994
- Trade Names 1954 - 6/30/1994
- US Tax Liens 1951- 1994
- Iowa Tax Liens 1961 - 1994
- January 3, 1972 through May 31, 1994
THE FOLLOWING FORMS ARE AVAILABLE TO PRINT AT BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
- APPLICATION FOR CERTIFIED COPY OF A MILITARY RECORD
- DECLARATION OF VALUE FORM WITH INSTRUCTIONS
- DOCUMENT FORMATTING STANDARDS
- GROUND WATER HAZARD FORM ATTACHMENT 1
- GROUND WATER HAZARD FORM INSTRUCTIONS
- GROUND WATER HAZARD FORM
- REAL ESTATE TRANSFER TAX TABLE
- TRADE NAME STATEMENT FORM
- STEPS REQUIRED FOR FILING A SUBDIVISION PLAT