Secondary Roads Motor Grader Operator
$26.93 - $/hour
SummaryResponsible for the safe, efficient operation of a motor grader and the routine maintenance of a rural gravel and dirt Secondary Roads in accordance with State and County standards. As assigned, the employee is also responsible for the performance of duties as a laborer, truck driver or equipment operator or any other duties pertinent to the aforesaid which may be assigned by a Supervisor as needed. This position is under the direct authority of the County Engineer/District Maintenance Foreman
Work Headquarters: Position open at the following Woodbury County Maintenance garage:
District #4, Oto, IA (one position), or any other location that may be assigned from time to time within Woodbury County.
Essential FunctionsEssential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for the safe and effective operation of a motor grader for blading and maintaining county gravel and unsurfaced roads as directed or assigned by a Supervisor
- Operates, bulldozers, end loaders, backhoes and trucks in carrying out County Secondary Roads construction and maintenance work as directed or assigned by a Supervisor.
- Performs general road maintenance including snowplowing, road sanding, brush removal and other related work.
- Performs routine maintenance on assigned equipment, such as lubrication and oil changes, checking engine
- Attendance is required
Non-Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Performs various other duties relating to scope of responsibility as assigned by County Engineer and/or District Maintenance Foreman.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform Essential Functions:
- Knowledge of the operation of a motor grader.
- Knowledge of proper techniques for maintaining gravel and unsurfaced (dirt) county secondary roads.
- Knowledge of and the ability to operate a variety of heavy and light equipment including scrapers, bulldozers, front end loaders, backhoes and trucks
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance specifications and the ability to perform the required maintenance
- Knowledge of safety standards relative to scope of responsibilities
- Practical knowledge of reading and interpreting grade stakes and blueprints
- Ability to work with hands, to perform routine heavy manual labor (50 to 85 pounds of dead lifting and to walk stairs carrying 50 pounds) for extended periods under possibly adverse weather conditions
- Ability to communicate tactfully and courteously with co-workers and the general public
- Must possess current Iowa Commercial driver’s license and insurance.
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check, a physical examination, and drug screening test prior to employment
- Attendance is required.
Essential Education, Certification, and/or Licenses
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION OTHERWISE THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE FORWARDED. Woodbury County application and resume are required. DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 4:30 P.M., Monday, February 12, 2024 or until position filled. Woodbury County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.